District of WondersTales To TerrifyStarShipSofaFar Fetched Fables

Designer Religions / Religions Designer

Home Forums Ask Away Ask the Forum a SF related question Designer Religions / Religions Designer

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Alex Weinle 1 year, 3 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Fredosphere

I’m developing some ideas for a science fiction story involving an alien culture. I need to design alien religions that are both plausible and alien. I have a theoretical framework that would allow me to combine various traits of religions in novel ways. In fact, using this framework one could (theoretically!) describe every possible religious belief system.

(My model for this is the ”Big Five” personality traits that describe every personality type, AKA the CANOE system.)

But. . .I don’t have the complete list of discrete attributes. If anyone has a background in the social sciences and would like to help me, please comment or send me a private message. I’d like to hear from anyone who knows of research already done in this area, or anyone who has ideas about how to do such research.

(I’m also well aware of the danger of this kind of research, to wit: if I invent a new, alien religion, soon it will start showing up in census data in the UK.)

Fredosphere

I’m going to bump this question one time because I still desperately wish someone could answer it. If no one replies, I promise to remove the life support and let the thread die with dignity.

Alex Weinle

I’ll bump this from the long distant past Fred. Did you manage to make a “religion machine”?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments

Comments are closed.