StarShipSofa Episode 323 Robert T Jeschonek

February 5, 2014 by acpracht

Coming up…

Fiction: “The Spinach Can’s Son” by Robert T. Jeschonek

“I am the can of spinach in a sailor man’s hand. He squeezes, expecting me to burst open and launch a blob of green power into his gaping maw.

“But I do not burst. He gets no mouthful of spinach, no surge of energy pumping up his arms to three times their size. That’s not how it works on this side of the tracks, my friend.

“You’re not in the funny pages anymore.”

Robert Jeschonek is an award-winning writer whose fiction, comics, essays, and podcasts have been published around the world. He won the grand prize in Pocket Books’ nationwide Strange New Worlds contest and was nominated for the British Fantasy Award. His young adult slipstream novel, My Favorite Band Does Not Exist, won the Forward National Literature Award and was named one of Booklist’s Top Ten First Novels for Youth. His science fiction thriller, Day 9, is a 2013 International Book Award winner. He also won the 2013 Scribe Award for Best Original Novel for his alternate history, Tannhäuser: Rising Sun, Falling Shadows. Hugo and Nebula Award winner Mike Resnick has called him “a towering talent.” Visit him online at www.thefictioneer.com.

Narrator: Graeme Dunlop

Graeme is a Software Solution Architect and Voice Actor living in Melbourne Australia. He is the sound producer for the horror podcast Pseudopod, and host of the YA podcast Cast of Wonders. You can find him on Google+ and he occasionally tweets as @kibitzer on Twitter.

Comments

1. “The Spinach Can’s Son” contains two things I love: a clever idea and classic comic strips. Jeschonek’s love for and knowledge of the latter made the former work smoothly. The story was a pleasure to experience.
    I’m still thinking about the finale, and am not sure the child plot worked.

Nice reading by Graeme Dunlop, too.

Links to this post
  1. […] is number 323…and it showcases one of my stories, “The Spinach Can’s Son.” You can give it a listen right here. If you ask me, the narrator, Graeme Dunlop, does a brilliant job of reading this story and really […]