District of WondersTales To TerrifyProtecting Project PulpCrime City CentralStarShipSofa

Tau Ceti Radio / SF Music

Home Forums Podcast Tau Ceti Radio / SF Music

Tagged: 

This topic contains 16 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  Robyn Bradshaw 3 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author

jeffdem

The rock band “My Chemical Romance” just released their new album, “Danger Days: The True Lives of the Fabulous Kiljoys”. This a concept album set in a post-apocalyptic America of 2019 with the band members playing superhero-like alter egos known as “Killjoys”.

Along with the album will be a comic book series from Dark Horse co-written by frontman Gerard Way.

The band’s Youtube channel, “mychemicalromance” features several short video clips as well as the official music videos for their singles “Na Na Na” and “Sing”, depicting events from the upcoming comics.

If you’re a fan of rock music and SF, check them out:

http://www.youtube.com/user/mychemicalromance

http://www.coupdemainmagazine.com/blahblah/books/2356

Church

I’ve mentioned this before (damned if I can find it now) but Hipster, Please! (web) and Radio Free Hipster (podcast) are a great sources. The former has the show notes for the latter. Wired’s Geek Dad (web/podcast) does a family-friendly geek music podcast on alternate weeks with the same guy. (disclaimer: Net-friends with that guy.) (The other weeks are roundtable discussions with various geek dads.)

John Anealio does a great deal of SF music (and did the theme for the Geekdads’ “Geekmas” podcasts this year.)

More as I think of them.

Church

Jonathan Coulton (AKA JoCo) is probably the most well known Geek Rock artist, having gotten a great deal of attention for his uniformly excellent Thing a Week podcast, in which he produced a song each week for a year. He was an early adopter of Creative Commons licensing, which encouraged his fans to promulgate his music in a variety of ways, e.g., machinma video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDiDK_yBCw0

Beatnik Turtle is a Boston-based band that covers a lot of ground musically and thematically, including some particularly SF and geeky subjects. They did a Song of the Day project for a year, and have kept it up at a similar pace since. (They’re also very podcast-friendly.) See, e.g., Star Wars (A Film Like No Other)

David is embroiled in retail Christmas hubbub and loads of holiday gigs, so I just wanted to chime in on his behalf to say this thread is awesome! Thanks everybody!

Church

My pleasure, Robyn. I can go on and on about this stuff.

I’d be remiss if I didn’t mention Sci-Fried who’re an incredibly talented and dedicated group that perform a very rock-n-roll sort of music that’s invariably touching on some SF topic. They’ve just released a seasonal song with help from Marc with a C (who is more of a geek indie pop kind of performer.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RNU16HHOPxA

asegal

Hi all. I wanted to thank Mr. Bradshaw for the wonderful segment. I, too, think that the Yip Yip Martians are some of the best representations of alien culture-their genuine attempts to deal with Earth mores and objects, and their sheer freaky “otherness.” I was terrified of them up embarrassingly late into my preteen years, but they are among my favorite Muppet creations now. They have always epitomized both the concept of “alien” and what a “Martian” might be like.

I also wanted to add a non-Yip-Yip Sesame Street alien music cartoon which, in pure strangeness and wonder, is a science fiction classic. Enjoy!

http://www.sesamestreet.org/video_player/-/pgpv/videoplayer/0/7b33e8f9-154c-11dd-8ea8-a3d2ac25b65b/martian_music

Best, Ariel Segal

Church

asegal said:I was terrified of them up embarrassingly late into my preteen years, but they are among my favorite Muppet creations now. They have always epitomized both the concept of “alien” and what a “Martian” might be like

I find it fascinating what weirds kids out. I always loved the Yip Yips, and was never frightened of clowns. On the flip side, I thought it was inappropriate for Mr. Rogers to change in front of me, even though it was just his sweater and shoes (I think it was the shoes. I never saw anyone change shoes.)

I know that Brits all had their ‘couch moments’ with Dr. Who, and I bawled over seeing the grandfatherly guy spending his dying breath worrying over his tricycle in Star Trek’s “Miri” episode. It seems borderline random what gets under your skin.

SimonH

jeffdem said:
    The rock band “My Chemical Romance” just released their new album, “Danger Days: The True Lives of the Fabulous Kiljoys”…

Interesting, jeffdem – I really enjoyed their ‘Welcome to the Black Parade’ (although I shouldn’t have tried to karaoke the title track the other day.)

I’m hard pressed to think of music that talks about the future, but for me industrial, noise, IDM and some ambient music is my ‘soundtrack of the future’. Aphex Twin and Autechre in particular – possibly due to their relentless experimentation, and high tech approach.

I know my perspective is shaped by what David does for a living, but for me the “sound of the future” is acoustic music being played live at home. Add to that home recordings of same. Technological advances have put the power of production and distribution into musicians’ hands, ironically and delightfully (IMO) giving rise to a new cottage industry. What’s next? Maybe it’ll be David hosting a live and interactive acoustic jam session at Tony’s place with musicians from around the world, all via holographic projection. You’re all invited! :wink:

gav

SimonH said:
    Interesting, jeffdem – I really enjoyed their ‘Welcome to the Black Parade’ (although I shouldn’t have tried to karaoke the title track the other day.)

I’m hard pressed to think of music that talks about the future, but for me industrial, noise, IDM and some ambient music is my ‘soundtrack of the future’. Aphex Twin and Autechre in particular – possibly due to their relentless experimentation, and high tech approach.

I’ll pass on my Chemical Romance but I listen to a lot of your other stuff (though I am not 100% clear on what IDM is or why we need to label dance music as intelligent).

Back in the 90s futuristic music [to me] was either about industrial, EBM, experimental electronica (maybe Digital Hardcore) or some unholy amalgam of them all. The future was going to feature a lot of black leather and spikes.

And ladies in corsets.

Considering that [currently] I like my music gloomy and depressing I am astonished to report that the Retro-futurism of the Daft Punk Tron: Legacy soundtrack currently ticks my boxes.

Having said that, I don’t think the sound of the future is something we’re able to predict. We only have to look at the past to see how far music has changed. It’s entirely possible that futuristic music will be not much more than bashing tin lids together… and yeah I do like Power Noise.

Just wanted to say a big thank you to everyone for nominating Tau Ceti Radio for a Sofanaut. Quite an honour to get a nom nod at only two episodes in – thanks so much!

Ah! Have now listened to the show – my nom is largely a nod from Tony, which makes sense because I only just got here, really. Thanks Tony – I raise a pint to you!

LarrySantoro

Yeah, but you got lots of non-Smithian nods as well. At least one from me and I’ll be lots from here, there and everywhere. Imagine. I even voted against m’self!

Church

LarrySantoro said:
    Yeah, but you got lots of non-Smithian nods as well. At least one from me and I’ll be lots from here, there and everywhere. Imagine. I even voted against m’self!

And I helped!

LarrySantoro

Of COURSE that was supposed to say, “…and I’ll BET lots from here…” etc. Bet, not be. Jeeze.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments

Comments are closed.