StarShipSofa No 336 Ron Collins

May 7, 2014 by acpracht

Coming up…

Fact: Looking Back at Genre History by Amy H. Sturgis 02:30

Main fiction: “Bugs” by Ron Collins 15:30

Dr. Caulder kept talking, but John could scarcely follow along.  The government needed authorization.  Would he sign a waiver?  Of course, Jesus Christ, of course.  His hospital gown disappeared.  A nurse sprayed his chest with shaving creme.  Carol’s beautiful face filled his view, tears streaming down lined cheeks.  She said something long and drawn out, but all John heard was “I love you.”  Then he was gone.  Preparations continued as they rolled.  IV bottles hung from steel rods.  An elevator door closed.  A needle pricked his arm.

Bugs, he thought.  They’re going to use the bugs.

Then he was asleep.

Ron Collins’s work has appeared in Asimov’s, Analog, Nature, and several other magazines and anthologies. His writing has received a Writers of the Future prize and a CompuServe HOMer Award. He holds a degree in Mechanical Engineering, and has worked developing avionics systems, electronics, and information technology.

Narrator: Colin Clews

Colin Clews is a musician and writer, living in UK. He loves music, reading and movies. Although he’s British, he grew up in Africa and still hasn’t managed to do anything cooler than that – despite studying philosophy and learning to play electric guitar.

Comments

1. Another fine podcast!

Thank you, Amy, for helping me rethink of Dark Shadows. I wonder if we can consider it a precursor to young adult fiction, given the teen audience.
    Now I want to find the Lovecraftian episode sequence.

“Bugs” started off as a neat exploration of technology, transitioned to medical ethics and politics, then concluded on a very moving romantic note. Bravo!

Links to this post
  1. […] little short story “Bugs” into a way-cool podcast audio version read by Colin Clewes. You can find it here. “Bugs” was first published in Analog, and I absolutely love how they’ve done it […]